What is an XL American Pitbull?
An XL American pitbull is a large variation of the common American pitbull terrier. These dogs are larger and heavier than the standard pitbull, usually weighing between 55 and 80 pounds. Additionally, XL American pitbulls tend to have broader chests, longer legs, and be overall larger in comparison to their normal size counterparts. As with any dog breed type there tends to be differences in appearance depending on bloodline as well. A common trait seen in many XL American Pitbulls is an elongated muzzle which gives these dogs a more wolf-like look.
Exercise is important for any dog- especially when it comes to such active breeds like these powerful canines. XL American Pitbulls need plenty of vigorous physical activities such as running or swimming; they may also enjoy basic obedience training, agility courses or Rally Obedience trials which can help harness their physical energy while also contributing to a more balanced social demeanor when out and about with other dogs or people. Much like other breeds bred for physical labor purposes like herding, draft work or hauling freight; bulldogs require a great deal of patience from owners working in order to properly channel all that excess energy in positive ways such as playing fetch or tug-of-war. It’s important for owners raising this type of breed to play an active role in providing challenging yet stimulating activities whether through games and exercises outdoors or by enrolling their pooch into canine events, specialty clubs or competitions designed specifically for their beloved furry family member!
Advantages of Owning an XL American Pitbull
Owning an XL American Pitbull has its advantages – it’s a breed that is resilient, strong and loyal, making them total companions. But there are some even greater benefits to owning a dog like this – here is a list of reasons why you might be interested in getting your own XL American Pitbull.
1) Loyal Companionship: Pit bulls have been called “velcro dogs” because of their unbounded loyalty to their human owners. That means they will stick faithfully by your side and serve as an excellent companion who wants nothing more than to make you happy. Who wouldn’t want someone with unconditional love?
2) Fearless Guardianship: You can trust the bravery of an XL American pit bull! This pooch will not hesitate to stand up for his family when it comes down to protecting them from harm or danger.
3) High Intelligence: These dogs are highly intelligent and eager to learn new commands, tasks and activities, as well as interactive games like retrieving balls or tennis ecksamans. As working dogs, they have boundless energy reserves which can be used towards physical activities and training sessions so they won’t get bored easily.
4) Satisfying Exercise: XL American pit bulls require physical activity on a regular basis so that they stay healthy both mentally and physically. Regular exercise keeps these active pups stimulated and engaged while also providing great bonding opportunities between you and your four-legged best friend!
5) Love Everyone (except cats): The affinity of the XL American pit bull towards humans makes these pooches good therapy animals since they are always looking for a chance to show affection through cuddling or playing catch. This breed loves everyone, but with some exceptions – felines tend not to enjoy their company too much so at least that part of the cat lady stereotype stays true!
Disadvantages of Owning an XL American Pitbull
Though they may have a cuddly and goofy exterior, owning an extra large American Pitbull can present some disadvantages. One potential downside is the potential damage that they can cause in a home or property. These dogs are known for their incredible strength and can easily damage furniture, walls and other items when not properly trained or exercised. Another disadvantage is that XL American Pitbulls have high energy levels which require significant amounts of exercise each day to help keep them in control. Without proper attention, they may become destructive and act out of character due to frustration over their own pent up energy. This breed also requires constant supervision when around small animals or children as it may be aggressive due to its natural instinctive tendencies. Finally, owning an XL American Pitbull may prove difficult for inexperienced owners since this breed requires intensive training techniques in order to maintain its obedient behavior and controlled nature. With all these things combined, owning an XL American Pitbull can be quite challenging for novice pet owners!
An Overview of Cost and Care Requirements for XL American Pitbulls
XL American Pitbulls are a popular breed amongst dog owners. This sturdy, loyal and energetic pup can make a great addition to any family. However, with any pet comes the associated costs and care requirements you must consider before making the commitment. To help you get started on your research, this guide covers the estimated cost of owning an XL American Pitbull as well as some of the specific breeds’ needs when it comes to health care and nutrition.
For starters, XL American Pitbulls typically have a lifetime cost ranging between $1,500 – $3,000 depending on where you purchase your pup from and whether or not they come with papers (AKC) certification. When buying an XL American Pitbull puppy from a reputable breeder it is essential to ask for all health certificates in order to ensure your pup has had any necessary genetic testing done prior to bringing them home. When adding up the total costs associated with purchasing an XL American pit bull there are other items that need to be taken into account such as food & supplies which will likely range between $100-$300 per month if purchasing high quality brands in addition to vaccinations & routine medical treatments like flea/tic preventatives and heartworm medication. Overall this brings the estimated long term cost when owning an XL American pit bull approximately between $5,000 – $7,000 total spread out over their lifetime.
When determining if an XL American pit bull is right for you there are important health related considerations to be made such as ensuring proper socialization early in life (puppy classes), regulating mental & physical activity levels for safety purposes etc… As far as diet goes these particular breeds do not require much additional nutrition wise but will generally enjoy dry kibble supplemented by occasional wet food for added flavor & texture variation paired with nutritious treats ideally sourced from a natural ingredient profile containing minimal ingredients listed in order from most prominent quantity by weight descending down.
In conclusion although consideration should always be given when creating lifelong commitments; individuals who truly appreciate this breed of canine companion often recognize that monetary cost should not be sole factor deterring adoption considering amount of love they provide along way!
Training Tips for XL American Pitbulls
Training American pitbulls of any size is a process that requires patience and consistency. XL American pitbulls, being bigger than their smaller counter-parts and with strong personalities, require an even greater degree of both. Here are a few tips that should be observed when training an XL American pitbull:
1. Positive reinforcement – Using rewards such as treats or verbal praise is an invaluable tool to reinforce desired behaviors in your XL pitbull. Negative punishments should be avoided; they may not have the intended effect and can cause fear or resentment towards training sessions. Aim to teach your pooch what it should do rather than punishing it for what it shouldn’t do.
2. Structure & leadership – Bring structure into everything you do with your XL Pit, this will create boundaries within which the dog is more comfortable operating and help them develop into well behaved dogs. Also let him know who’s the boss by maintaining consistent control during the training sessions and at home; remember that positive reinforcement goes both ways and however much he loves you, he needs to understand who has authority over him!
3. Socialization – Exposure to other people and animals is crucial for proper socialization for any breed – especially XL Pitbulls as they are at risk of becoming misidentified by strangers due to their size and/or strength which could put them in dangerous situations (to themselves as well as others). It’s best if you bring them out on a regular basis so they can interact with different environments while properly supervised by yourself or another trusted person/dog trainer familiar with this type of breed.
4. Exercise – Exercise plays a key role in keeping your big boy fit mentally as well as physically; give him plenty of playtime plus daily walks appropriate to his age, so he knows when it’s time for fun or serious business respectively! As prevention against behavioral issues there is no substitute for releasing pent up energy through planned exercise focused activities such as playing fetch, running around off-leash areas etc.. Make sure safety precautions are always taken during these activities though – due to how strong larger breeds like these are able leash walking accessories like special collars or muzzles might be necessary investments in order keep everyone safe from harm.
5. Re-evaluation / Review – To continue building upon good habits built during the anxiety causing puppy period, regularly checking progress & consistency helps overall success when training any dog regardless of breed size because doing so serves two useful purposes : 1) giving owners Peace Of Mind knowing their canine companion is progressing , 2) identifying cycles/patterns impacting successful/unsuccessful learning ~ allowing course corrections allowed if needed . This helps avoid global roadblocks preventing further development until questions answered resolving long standing issues before felt confident moving ahead again!
FAQs About XL American Pitbulls
What are XL American Pitbulls?
XL American Pitbulls are a unique breed of dog that take after their larger ancestors in size. They have been selectively bred to be heavier and bulkier than the traditional, standard-sized American Pitbull Terrier. Due to their increased size and power, proper family fit and training is essential when considering an XL American Pitbull as a pet.
Are XL American Pitbulls dangerous?
No more so than any other large breed of dog. As with any pet, regular care, devoted time spent with your pet, clear boundaries regarding behavior, socialization and responsible pet ownership are essential for any happy pet owner. As always, safety should always be first priority which is why these dogs require an experienced level of obedience training to keep both its owners and its environment safe.
Do I need to get a special license for an XL pit bull?
No – however you may want to consult local laws in regard to leash laws or further requirements based on where you live. If you plan on entering your pup into shows or competitive sports then often special permits or licenses MAY be required by law but typically those rules do not apply to a domestic home companion animal situation.
Are all XL American Pitbulls purebred?
There are not necessarily guarantees when it comes to the genetic makeup of any given individual XL dog; however there are often efforts made toward breeding programs that specialize in newer lines of purebred variations on the classic “blue” style of pit bull terrier – so many lines of domesticated pit bulls will include some sort of pedigree certification from established kennel clubs if this matters for households more invested in selective rights such as show quality etc.. Ultimately it depends upon the breeder for such information however most high-end lineages can often provide most relevant paperwork at request.